4. Who supports the change? Who is resisting the change? Why?
5. What’s your communication objective? (raise awareness, change behavior, change attitudes, build support, neutralize critics). Why?
need two power point slides and under slides little notes according to those questions. ppt slides need to be on bullet points.
especially look that yellow highlighted part as well.
Answers for theses question with little notes ant bullet point on power points. Two ppt is enough.
Who supports the change? Who is resisting the change? Why?
5. What’s your communication objective? (Raise awareness, change behavior, change attitudes, build support, neutralize critics). Why?
Environmental Scanning for Google Inc.
Environmental scanning is a procedure that methodically inspects and interprets the relevant information to point out the external threats and opportunities that can influence future decisions. It is the consistent tracking of events, occurrences, and trends in the firm’s internal and external environment that bear on its present and future endeavors. (Terry, 2020). Environmental scanning is related to SWOT analysis and should be integrated into the strategic planning process. An excellent environmental scanning process looks into both qualitative and quantitative changes. Ultimately, you should create a set of environmental indicators (external, internal, quantitative, and qualitative) that you think are the most important and could potentially impact the analysis you are performing.
The components of environmental scanning that should be analyzed include the following:
· Trends: What are the ongoing trends in the industry or marketplace that could impact your organization either positively or negatively.
· Competition: How are your competitors operating? What are they doing? Which of your competitor’s weaknesses can you exploit?
· Technology: What are the developments in technology that could affect your business in the short or long term? Are there any existing technologies that could increase the efficiency of your organization?
· Customers: What is affecting your capability to offer top-notch customer service? How dynamic is your customer base?
· Economy: What is the present pattern of the economy, and how could it affect the future of the business?
· Labor Supply: How are the labor market and environment in your areas of operation?
How will you ensure there is ready access to workers with high demand?
· Academic interests: Employment interests and the famous fields of the prospective students together with their families.
· Research: Funding from private, governmental, and foundation sources and changes in
· Philanthropy: The changes in the available funding and donors’ interests, attitudes, and approaches.
· Legislative/Political environment: Are there any impending legislation that will affect your business in the future? What impacts will the election results have on your organization?
(“TOPPR”, 2021A and “TOPPR”, 2021B)
Every firm should identify the external factor with the most impact to make environmental scanning a helpful tool. The next step should be to perform an internal scan of the firm. Perform a review of the organization’s mission, strategic plan, and vision. Examine the organization’s weaknesses and strengths. Look at the company’s present position and where it plans to be in the next five to ten years – survey or interview its leaders. Once the business has collected sufficient information about the competitors, the external world, and itself, it should develop strategies that respond to the impacts when the need arises.
An environmental scan is a critical component in strategic planning since it provides information on factors that might affect the company in the future. The information gathered from such a survey will allow the leaders to respond to the external impacts proactively. When performing an environmental scan, several methods should be employed in the data collection, including publication review, interviewing the leaders in and out of the organization, conducting focus groups, and conducting surveys.
Environmental Scanning Strategies
To develop and build a prosperous enterprise, you should create a proper strategic approach to environmental scanning. Here are some of the standard approaches to analysis:
Seeking out the knowledge of an expert in the industry will allow you to get a better insight into the current opportunities and patterns your company can take in its market. Industry experts can easily recognize growing trends, and paying attention to them will help determine how your business will fit in the new spaces.
Market research is a crucial part of environmental scanning because you need to know the industry trends and take advantage of the opportunities. You should also be aware of the potential pitfalls within the industry that arise due to mistakes from competitors that may help you avoid committing similar ones. Market research will include newspapers, reading articles, and scanning academic journals. It may also consist of monitoring the demographics and paying attention to competitor performance in the stock market.
PESTLE is an acronym for political, economic, social, technological, legal, and environmental. Some researchers only adopt the first four to perform a PEST analysis. These are external factors that significantly affect the success of an enterprise; it is, therefore, critical to maintaining track of them. For instance, a change in technological advancements and tax laws in your business industry will prompt your firm to make policy changes to meet the federal regulations and potentially upgrade the tools to provide materials more efficiently, thus keeping up with the competitors.
SWOT analysis is an acronym for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. You can use this tool as an internal strategy to determine your firm excels in areas where development is needed. Analyzing these four components will help you achieve the organizational goals by capitalizing on business moves that benefit the firm and avoiding predictable threats.
Industry analysis is a specific market research strategy that analyzes the business strategies used by both your indirect and direct competitors. By evaluating their resulting successes or failures and strategy, you can develop better strategies and stay on top of the competition.
The Scanning Modes Used
Four scanning modes can be implemented by the company, depending on their philosophies and beliefs of operation:
· Undirected viewing
· Conditioned viewing
These processes are helpful in better understanding the forces that act on the organization, both internal and external, and react most effectively in a similar situation.
Environmental scanning is helpful to the firm as it helps it understand what is happening both outside and inside the firm and increases the possibility that strategies developed by the organization will reflect the corporate environment appropriately. Environmental analysis is critical since numerous changes in the domain significantly affect the business firm’s activities. Analysis of the business environment helps identify the strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities. Therefore, a SWOT analysis is critical to the growth and survival of every business organization.
The following are the importance and benefits of environmental analysis:
· Identification of strengths: An organization’s strengths are the company’s capability to have an advantage over other competitors in the industry. Analyzing the internal business environment will help identify a firm’s strengths. After identifying the strengths, the firm should maximize or consolidate its strengths by further enhancing its resources, plans, and policies.
· Identification of weaknesses: The weaknesses of an organization are its limitations. An enterprise may be vital in certain areas but weak in others. The weakness should be recognized for further growth, expansion, and remedy as soon as possible. Consistent monitoring of a firm’s internal environment helps identify its strengths and weaknesses.
· Identification of opportunities: An environmental scanning helps to highlight the opportunities in the market. The company should spend its efforts in ensuring that they grab every opportunity within their grasp.
· Identification of threats: Every organization is subject to threats from competitors to other innumerable factors. An environmental scan will help identify the threat coming from the external environment. When the threat is identified early, it is much easier to diffuse them.
· Optimum utilization of resources: A proper environmental analysis can help optimize the use of scarce natural, human, and capital resources. The resources cannot be appropriately utilized without assessing and understanding the external and internal environment. A systematic analysis of the business environment will help the organization minimize wastage and make optimum use of available resources.
· Growth and survival: A systematic analysis of the business environment can help an organization minimize its weaknesses, maximize its strengths, diffuse the threats, and grab the opportunities. It will help the firm grow and survive in a harsh business environment.
· Planning for a long-term business strategy: All business organizations have short and long-term objectives. Proper analyses of factors in the environment will help the firm frame policies and plans that could be useful in accomplishing those objectives. Without an accurate environmental assessment, the firm will not develop an effective strategy that ensures business success.
· Environmental assessment helps make decisions: The decision-making process is founded on selecting the best of all existing options. Whether a business will succeed or not largely depends upon the decision-making abilities of its management. An environmental scan is a keenly fundamental tool to understanding and making the right decision in every business situation. The results from an environmental assessment are very critical in helping an organization choose the best option for growth and success.
· Academics and businesses respond effectively to the changes in their current operational environments. The information collected and assessed from the environmental analysis procedure offers the company sufficient information to make the best decision concerning the general health of the firm.
Environmental analysis is not without some weaknesses and gaps that often deter analysis. Here are some of the highlighted gaps and weaknesses:
· Inability to pull crucial information
· Complexity in shaping or understanding what an environmental analysis means
· It is difficult to perceive the positive effects of environmental assessment on the performance of a firm
· It is easy to overlook crucial information since the analysis deals with a massive amount of information collected by the organization
· It is challenging to locate all the available sources of information, meaning that the organization might miss highly significant information that could be important to the results of the analysis
· There is a need for studies to ascertain the best sources of information to use while carrying out the assessment
· There exists research to identify the best techniques for handling and interpreting the numerous information
There is a need for modern environmental analysis research
Google Inc. Overview
Google Inc. is an American search engine company founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin as a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc. (Holsch & Hall, 2015). It is headquartered in mountain view, California, and its domain, google.com, was registered in 1997, with Google Corporation being formed in 1998. Google started as an online search firm but has now grown to deal with cloud computing, advertising, research, and platforms a variety of services, including YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps, Google News, Google Earth, Google Drive, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Nexus et cetera. Holsch & Hall postulate that about 70% of the global online search requests go through Google, making it the hallmark of internet usage (Holsch & Hall, 2015).
The company specializes in web services like advertising, search tools, communication and publishing tools, security tools, developmental tools, systems like Android and Chrome OS, statistical tools, mobile applications, desktop applications, various hardware such as Google Nexus, Google driverless car, Google TV, Google cast, Google glass, Google Cloud Platform et cetera. The company has grown tremendously from its inception as a university project called the
Backrub to the billion-dollar franchise (Saha, 2005). Google’s growth has been exponential, releasing several Google versions, including ten languages, by 2000 (Kollewe, 2008). That same year, the company launched AdWords, an advert network selling keywords-related advertisements (Kollewe, 2008). Google started Gmail in 2004 acquired Keyhole in that same year, while necessitating the start of Google Maps Google Earth. It acquired Android in 2005, YouTube in 2006, and DoubleClick in 2007 (Kollewe, 2008), ensuring that Google can collate the world’s information in an organized manner, making them accessible.
Google aspires to create innovative advertising and web search items, making it the most recognized website brand worldwide. Google announced to the public in 2015 that it was restructuring the corporate setup, forming an umbrella company, Alphabet, with Sandar Pichai as the CEO (Kelly, 2015). Alphabet will parent several smaller companies, including Google, that will focus on internet products. YouTube, Apps, Maps, Android, and ads will stay part of Google Inc. (Kelly, 2015). Google X Lab, Google Ventures, Google Capital, Calico, Fibre, Nest,
Robotics division, Google’s Life Sciences, and Google Deepmind will operate as subdivisions of Alphabet, which means that Google wholly owns Alphabet. Therefore, Google presently focuses intently on traditional products like Google search engine, Google Play, Chrome, and YouTube.
Google had about 2.3 million searches every second, averaging more than a hundred billion searches monthly (D’Onofro, 2016). Google Maps alone averages upwards of one billion users every month. The Google team also works hard to make the platform even more reliable and faster. Google AdSense allows users to earn via online content, putting ads on publishers’ pages, a significant revenue stream for Google Inc. The company’s cloud platform offers immeasurable supercomputing power to firms. As of December 2021, Alphabet inc. had a sum total of 156,500 employees globally (“Statista,” 2022).
· Stability of the political environment in significant markets
· Government stability
· Censorship issues
The strong and stable political environment within the US and other major markets has enabled Google’s continuous expansion. Google collects magnanimous sensitive and private information from its users, which China considers a threat. In recent years, Google has had to undergo state censorship since it broadcasted sensitive information by the Chinese government. The Chinese media frequently accuses Google of actively exporting values, culture, and ideas instead of appropriately conducting business (Dudovskiy, 2017). The Cold War between China and America made the environment highly volatile as we saw substantial trade tariffs being imposed on imports. It greatly affected the company due to its reliance on imports from the Chinese market. In 2015, the US government initiated Project Loon, which was meant to provide internet in rural places through balloons and cell towers; the Chinese government labeled the initiative an undercover espionage act by the US intelligence services (Dudovskiy, 2017).
Similarly, China has state-online platforms like Baidu, which is considered a threat to Google.
The censorship also comes for the US state government that has often accused Google of stashing its profits in international banks to avoid taxes. Additionally, the partnership between Huawei and Google in a volatile political setting placed the company negatively, affecting its market position. Google also gets political pressure from international groups like the One World Broadcasting Trust, which affects its revenue stream. Furthermore, employment laws and environment protection laws also affect its operations.
Positively though, large companies’ demand for various technological and computing instruments is at the forefront of revenue generation. Therefore, the corporation gets perfect receivership and market in most countries it serves. Coupled with the return to normalcy from the sucker-punch of the Covid-19 related political issues, the company is effectively getting back to the market. If the current government is able to maintain a stable political environment and the buyers maintain their purchasing capabilities, the company can grow by introducing more products over time. Google can therefore assess both sides of the coin and find the best gap in a stable economy to increase its sales.
· Impact of global economic crises
· The economic rise in developing countries
· Impact of macroeconomic issues
Google is vastly affected by everyday economic factors such as inflation rates, USD rates, tax regulations, and interest rates. The company’s overseas revenues are affected by credit deteriorations fluctuations in foreign exchange rates and liquidity. The significant revenues that the company stores in foreign markets are highly vulnerable to exchange rate risks. The explosive growth of developing markets and economic stability creates a gapping growth hole for the company from the growing number of users. Even with the economic crisis of 2009,
Google maintained its global economic performance. The inflation rates in other countries like the UK, South America, and India is increasing, and this means that the profits Google generates on click ad are often rising.
Globalization has made Google institute its presence in developing countries and economies outside the American market. The buyers’ purchasing powers in such economies are constantly increasing, creating an opportunity for tech companies like Google to find new and expanding markets to become a leader in several economies. Also, the brand is able to create products that best suit the purchasing capabilities of consumers in such markets. Furthermore, reducing the cost of renewable energy could perhaps be an opportunity for Google to strengthen its energy supply. The company’s digital advertising services could expand its energy projects to ensure operational stability. The move could support the company’s corporate social responsibility strategy (Meyer, 2017). These economic variables facilitate the company’s growth in the market. Google can consider the upside and downside views to find a stable niche in the economy and increase its sales. The market search can hint to them where they should invest more in the future.
· Growth of social media platforms
· Increased use of smartphones
· Suspicion and distrust of Google
· Women in Tech at Google
The consumer attitudes, the wealth of target consumers, consumer electronic products and services, and demographic changes significantly affect the company’s operations. With the rise in smartphone usage, laptops and computers are dangerously declining. Most of Google’s searches are done via mobile phones; therefore, its advertising revenue comes from mobile phones and other similar devices. But the introduction of the Android OS greatly benefited Google via platforms such as Gmail, Google+, and Play store. Everyone uses Google to look at sports scores, Google restaurants, and other quick searches.
Furthermore, social media platforms like WhatsApp dominate the market, effectively reducing the use of such engines. Other customers also use Amazon as s detach engine to shop online, an operation previously exclusive to Google. Amazon also offers video content you can’t access via YouTube. Facebook is similarly gaining market via online advertisements. These highlighted aspects succinctly show that social media and websites are clearly replacing the traditional search engines. Most people also believe that Google quietly encroaches into their private life to gather private information.
Moreover, at Google, women represent a small percentage of the workforce in tech jobs. According to McCain (2022), women present only 25% of the tech job at Google. This reflects the image of women’s inclusion in the tech industry in the US, where women only present 34.4 of the workforces in big tech companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Twitter, Meta, & Google. (McCain, 2022). Furthermore, women in tech confirm that they do not get a promotion due to gender bias, where they also mentioned that they are likely to be laid off or leave their jobs as twice as men. (Accenture, 2020).
The analysis of Google’s socio-cultural environment shows that the company faces several threats that could also be an opportunity for growth. These social threats could also be considered an opportunity for the company. For instance, riding on this new trend, the company can customize its YouTube operations to grow its consumer base. The diversifying customer portfolio creates the opportunity for Google to improve its operations via innovation and technological tools. Google could customize its algorithms to match the dynamic customer trends and preferences. The business should create holistic strategies to much the identified factors. The company’s marketing mix can help entice more consumers based on current sociocultural trends (Greenspan, 2021). With the right strategies, Google can weather the current storm in the social environment to grow its revenue streams.
· Growing sophisticated apps surpassing the search engines
· Massive investment in R & D
· Expanding services to hardware tech
· Growing AI and Cloud Tech
Google has acquired 225 companies by 2018 (“Google Acquisitions,” 2020), meaning it has continuously expanded its consumer segments to move away from search engines to other sectors like airborne wind turbines, home automation devices, robotics, self-driving cars, et cetera. In 2020, Google invested 27.5 billion dollars in research and development (“Alphabet Annual Report,” 2021). Google faces stiff competition from Apple since it has its own search engine. Amazon dominates the online shopping search activities while Microsoft, on the other hand, possesses one of the best search engines globally. With the exponential growth of apps, the possibility of replacement of traditional Google services is relatively high. For example, online ad blockers have vastly reduced Google’s revenue from ads. The company’s competitors are also introducing apps that enable users to bypass Google such an engine, which could potentially affect the company negatively, effectively reducing its revenues.
Positively, Google has a vast opportunity to grow based on the expanding internet usage in developing countries. It translates to market growth in such environments where the company could offer more software, online services, and hardware. Also, the continuing smartphone usage allows the company to sell its smartphones due to the increasing usage of Google Play Store and Android OS. The company could make its devices user-friendly to ensure wider adoption of their devices. On another note, both corporations and individuals have a growing AI and cloud tech usage. Google can integrate more features into the platform to expand consumer usage. The increased use of AI and cloud computing tech has significantly benefited the company since it has a high innovation level. Other than Amazon, Google stands as the most prominent AI and Cloud integrated company with a very high growth rate. The factors analyzed in Google’s technological environment present both threats and opportunities due to the increasing technological trends that affect the company’s macro and remote environment.
• Sustainable business
Google creates a friendly culture and conducive environment for its workers with significant incentives that focus on both the profit and development of its employees. Google has to ensure its consumers do not succumb to fraudsters, hackers, and internet scams. Google uses a lot of electricity to maintain data, consequently affecting the natural resources in the long term. Additionally, being an IT giant, Google addresses related environmental issues currently plaguing the world. The company currently works with the UN to develop environmentally friendly steps that incorporate technology usage. The company also generates data for the government, the public, and other organizations regarding environmental concerns so that they can make better decisions.
The continual growing support for environmentalism exhibited by Google Inc. makes the company more attractive. Google’s adaptation of renewable energy enhances its services’ satisfaction since most customers prefer green technologies. Furthermore, the suppliers of Google are taking more interest in its sustainable business operations. The ecological trend creates an opportunity to strengthen its corporate image by aligning its operations with environmentally sensitive suppliers. Google’s social responsibility system addresses most of the opportunities that arise by operating in an environmentally sustainable manner.
· A rise in legal expenses
· Regulations restricting its operations
· Privacy laws
Since the company is continually expanding, it ventures into automobiles, capital markets, and telecommunications, attracting more legal restrictions. The financial sector becomes costly since more insurance and financial companies require more fees. Additionally, Google owns many patents and copyrights, which attract numerous ownership disputes that could prove costly to defend if not operated legally. Google is also subject to multiple international and state laws that support patent infringement claims and protect innovations.
Several privacy laws have worked against Google’s mode of operations. This analysis shows that the legal issues in the company’s environment create significant threats to the operation but can be an opportunity is concisely addressed. As highlighted in the analysis, the company depends highly on targeted ads for revenue, which require gathering private user data. Since countries are starting to develop laws that embargo the collection of private information, Google has a difficult time running ads. However, by mitigating the said threats, Google can turn them into opportunities that improve it. By addressing the privacy issues, Google can be more competitive compared to other companies with inferior privacy protections. Additionally, Google can have intellectual solid property fillings and provide the means for firms and individuals to ensure that their respective intellectual rights are protected. Enhancing the legal issues could create a better image among its target consumers and online environment.
The Google platform provides easy access to sensitive and private information on world politics to its users. The company is exceptional as it is rarely affected by the global economic and political conditions. The stable political environment and storage government within the US and other international markets have been instrumental to its expansion, providing the best opportunity for the company. Google uses its innovative culture to stay competitive by aggressively advancing technologically and meeting consumer demands. The company must stay environmentally sensitive, operate cost-effectively, and protect energy sources within the global legal mandates. The company’s strategy of bringing the information into the hands of the users gives it an immutable revenue stream while also modeling its brand image and enhancing its performance.
Nonetheless, the company still faces and even succumbs to significant environmental threats, which constricts its operational and revenue capacity, by employing some of the highlighted strategies to the threats that Google inc. Faces in its external environment, the company can maintain its position as a titan in that industry.
Alphabet Annual Report. (2021). Stocklight. Retrieved March 8, 2022, from
Looking for this or a Similar Assignment? Click below to Place your Order