MLA Format •
1 ½ to 2 pages (double spaced), not including the Works Cited page
• Work Cited page •
A minimum of 1 source
AEH Division 1
ENGL 1213: Composition II Value: 50 points
Writing Assignment 1: Research Proposal
Purpose of Writing Assignment
Throughout English Composition II, you will explore, research,
and create arguments about an issue of your choosing. The
primary goal is to highlight a problem that is observable and
The essay should include the following:
• MLA Format
• 1 ½ to 2 pages (double spaced), not including the Works Cited page
• Work Cited page
• A minimum of 1 source, other than your personal observations, cited in the paper. This source may be
one you plan to use in the rest of the essays.
Tasks to Complete
For this assignment, write a research proposal on a topic found to be a problem in society. The purpose of
the research proposal is to give a good overview of the problem, propose what you expect to accomplish with
your research, and explain how you plan to conduct your research.
The topic you choose for this paper will be researched and used throughout the entire semester. To
complete this assignment, you should
Methods of Organization for the Assignment
• Introduction of the issue or problem that your research will address and attempt to resolve.
What is the significance of the issue? Provide insight to the relevance of the issue and a thesis that
states the main point(s) of the proposal.
• Summary of the what you already know about the issue. Explain and describe what you already
know about the issue. How does the issue impact society? What factor(s) contribute to the issue’s
• Summary of your research approach. Explain what more you need to learn about the issue. What do
you plan to research regarding the issue? Will you have to clarify terms and concepts? What research is
needed for the opposing viewpoint? What kinds of sources will you use for your research? What
Grade for this Essay
5% Of the overall grade for the
Submit a polished,
essay using MLA
Write a rough
AEH Division 2
strengths will they lend to the paper? How will they help clarify points you want to make? How will you
gather your sources?
• Summary of your intended audience. Describe the intended audience for your research; who needs
to know about this issue? Is the audience general, specialized, or both? Discuss what people or group
of people might benefit from reading your paper; how will your audience benefit from your research?
• Conclusion that addresses what is at stake if the problem is not solved, and why it is worthy of
This assignment helps you practice the following skills that are essential to your success in school and your
professional life beyond school. In this assignment you will:
• Develop skills in thinking about and designing a comprehensive research paper
• Identify logical steps that must be taken to accomplish one’s research goals
• Improve general research and writing skills
• Compose a well-organized, paper that includes an introduction, body, and conclusion
Criteria for Success
A summary of the grading criteria for this assignment can be found in the following table. For detailed
criteria, see the assignment rubric.
Category Description Points
Mechanics Students will communicate using academic language and conventions of
Standard American English.
Formatting Students will format an essay utilizing MLA style formatting. 10
Organization Students will present information in a unified and coherent manner. 15
Content Students will write an essay that responds to all parts of the prompt. 20
Total 50 pts.