Religious subject matter dominated the Renaissance, Mannerist, and Baroque periods. As a result, many of the masters painted their interpretations of the Last Supper, a sacred event in Christianity. I
Religious subject matter dominated the Renaissance, Mannerist, and Baroque periods. As a result, many of the masters painted their interpretations of the Last Supper, a sacred event in Christianity. In this discussion, compare and contrast the 3 images using the questions below.
Leonardo da Vinci, The Last Supper (1495-98)
Tintoretto, The Last Supper (1592-94)
Peter Paul Rubens, The Last Supper (1630-31)
- Explain the use of linear perspective in each painting.
- Where is the vanishing point? The focal point?
- Explain the use of implied lines in each painting.
- Explain the division created by the table in each painting.
- Explain the use of movement in each painting.
- Describe the use of light and dark contrast.
- Describe color relationships in each painting.
- Which painting is more complicated in its composition? Explain.
- After reviewing questions 1-8, which painting is a more classic statement of the event and why?
- Which painting conveys a stronger sense of emotion and why?
- Your discussion post and any images used must be embedded and not attached. DO NOT ATTACH your work. Attachments cannot be opened and will receive a zero.
- Your post must be a minimum of 400 words written in paragraph format.
- All scholarly sources used must be properly cited in the Chicago Style. (You can review course policies on citations & sources here).
- Use the Image icon in the toolbar to embed images. Select upload and drag the images from your desktop.
- Proofread for grammatical and spelling errors.
- You must comment and provide a thoughtful contribution to one of your classmate’s posts in a minimum of 100 words. Simply stating they did a great job is not a thoughtful contribution to the discussion. You must add to their post by elaborating on what they have written or provide a different perspective.